Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Bird challenge


I did these little bird drawings of my favourite black and white magpies and seagulls in my travel journal. A few of the birds are like children's drawings and I can see I haven't drawn them accurately.
I love the magpies where I live as they are on the nature strips in groups of 3 birds and peck around for food and play around the nature strip. I can get within a few feet of them. Some people tame them by giving them pieces of meat.
I like the seagulls too although they aren't a favourite of a lot of people because of their scavanger behaviour. I love walking along the beach with all the birds.
My favourite bird was my budgerigar Tiger. He used to fly around the room when I was a kid and he would run up and down the shelf whistling and fly on top of my head. He would sit on my hands and whistle away and chat to me. He only lived a few years. I have happy memories of him.
Lots of love from Susan in Australia

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cute! i just painted a seagull, too! I love them, except when they're stealing hotdogs out of my hand (true story!)!

biteyourowntail said...

I was going to say something intelligent but for me it's too early. Birds are fascinating to me, I love them - precisely because they aren't cute, I think. I think you are starting to capture the spirit of the birds and to me that's more important than accuracy. Things can be drawn with absolute precision and be utterly lifeless.

Lynn said...

That seagull in the bottom right corner is spot on! You captured his shape perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Susan, you've caught the essence of these birds. That one seagull is perfect! I have friends that call me Magpie. I like it. I haven't seen any magpies around here, only the crows and ravens. But, I like them, too. :-)