Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Challenge 94...a spoon


I have 2 of these spoons. My grandmother gave them to me. As she got older she slowly gave away her possessions to friends and family. She wanted to see her things go to people who would love them as much as she did. I use these spoons most days and always have fond thoughts of my grandmother. I used to visit her often for afternoon tea or an evening meal. Her unit was on a slope and if you looked out the windows you could see a pear tree as if the unit was in the tree it was so close. I used to call her home Pear tree cottage. I learnt so much about the joys and celebrations of life from my grandmother. She was always bright and cheerful and pleased to see me. She had a beautiful warm heart and loved being hospitable to friend and stranger. We are very different women and yet I have a photo of her and I together at her 90th birthday and we sat on our chairs in exactly the same pose. It was wonderful to see the genes passed on. I dedicate this to my beloved Rosa Hosken.
Lots of love from Susan in Australia

4 comments:

Brenda Yarborough said...

What lovely works of art you've posted and what lovely memories! As I was reading about your grandmother, I was thinking that most of the children today (because of our mobile society) don't live near their grandparents and what a loss that is! We are so fortunate to have those special, special memories.

Anonymous said...

I just love your drawings, Susan. And the stories behind them, too. That spoon! Love it!

Teri said...

This is a wonderful you have of your Gram. Thank you for sharing it. Isn't it great what a little piece like your spoon can stir up in the memory.

laserone_ said...

What a wonderful drawing and how wonderful to hear about your mother. I love when people share stories w/ their drawings. :)